Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Celestron SkyProdigy--Part 2

The Celestron SkyProdigy telescope is designed to automatically align itself with minimal human intervention. The astronomer isn't required to manually align the telescope; just type in the local time and coordinates of the observation site, and the telescope does the rest.

Celestron SkyProdigy
The Celestron SkyProdigy 130

Last week, I borrowed a SkyProdigy 130 Newtonian Reflector to test whether the scope could align itself with numerous obstructions present. Looking back, I had problems with buildings during my previous semester at Susquehanna University with the Celestron NexStar 5SE Schmidt-Cassegrain scope. To loosely simulate the building situation at Susquehanna, a suburban cul-de-sac development served as the test site. Unlike the Susquehanna University campus, however, trees were a concern.

The SkyProdigy telescope, according to Celestron, aligns itself in three minutes. This estimate assumes there are no obstructions interfering with the scope's alignment process. In the cul-de-sac development, however, trees obstructed approximately one-half of the sky. As a result, the alignment process took more than three minutes. With only half the sky available, it took the scope approximately five minutes to align.

Following a successful alignment, my tour of the suburban "night" skies started with the planet Saturn. I was able to make out the largest of the Saturn ring gaps and three "stars," though I'm sure I was actually looking at three of Saturn's moons. Had there been clear skies the following night, I would have taken the telescope out again and determine whether those "stars" were actual stars or satellites of Saturn.

M5 as seen through the Hubble Space Telescope. Image by NASA and ESA

Other than Saturn and it's neighboring "stars," my tour included a few globular clusters, M5 in particular. Unlike the ringed planet, however, I didn't find M5 as amusing. With the local light pollution and the position of the object, M5 appeared similar to a puffball. Had I waited for an hour, or relocated to a darker site, the globular cluster would have appeared to have thousands of individual stars, gathered around one common point in space.

As a result of this test, I am considering bringing a SkyProdigy to Susquehanna University. Although the alignment process took longer with the SkyProdigy, the accuracy and operation had improvements over the NexStar telescope, which, I believe, will make the hobby more enjoyable. However, additional tests will be necessary before my return.

No comments:

Post a Comment